Sunday, December 7, 2014

LUNCH DATE | CAFE NOIR

Café Noir has been on my list from the very beginning, although I don’t know how I haven’t given up on it yet. You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now; I don’t even have enough fingers and toes to count how many times my master plan to devour this place on a Saturday afternoon has blown up in my face. But finally fate had its way and I ended up at Café Noir on a Saturday afternoon for a lunch date.
What a cute little French restaurant! Dark, intimate medieval tavern feel. Curly cue silverware pewter. We went for an early lunch so there was plenty of seating. I asked to be seated in their far end corner at the back, to enjoy the comfort of the couch, which was nice and cool! I love the avant garde style decor. Kind of old 1920's Paris meets new Louis Vuitton. The interior is very quaint and intimate. It's not by any means a large space but what space it has is utilized very well.  The decor, like the cuisine, is French with a modern twist. Benches and chairs are set against wood floors and blackboards with chalk drawings providing a quirky yet romantic ambiance. The menu is simple, but delectable. From breakfast items such as crepes and waffles; to lunch items including pastas and lasagnas and the amazing spread of deserts.
We ordered for a Mushroom Veloute Soup followed by A Mushroom deep fried with cheese. For entrée we ordered Pesto Cream and Prawns. To wash it all down we ended up ordering the Blue Fizz passion and Four Season.
Blue Fizz Passion: Frankly speaking I would have gone for a glass of red wine or a sangaria. But the last time I had one of those and tried riding my bike the outcome was scary. So this made me opt for a mocktail. Coming back to blue fizz passion, I think I have started growing a thing for this particular mocktail and now that I actually think about it, this is my safe drink I place at every eatery joint if I am not in mood for trying something new. As usual an amazing drink! 


Four Season: A blend of mango, pineapple, kiwi and strawberry crush, this drink seemed nice and my date seems to be enjoying it thoroughly.

Mushroom Veloute Soup: It was delicious and creamy. Apt thickness and this soup really bring out the taste of the mushroom. Loved it!

Mushroom deep fried with cheese: Although I don’t remember the exact name of this dish, this is somewhat similar. It’s supposed to be mushroom deep fried with cheese as the stuffing. I like mushrooms baked but here they boiled the mushrooms and then coated it with batter and deep fried. Avoid!

Prawns: Prawns with penne pasta in a creamy tarragon and tomato sauce. I dint taste this dish but my date seemed to be very happy with his prawns and if I was supposed to quote “the best prawns I had after fresska” which look to me as a compliment.

Pesto Cream: Penne pasta with pesto basil sauce. This dish tasted quite good althought I was disappointed by the amount of olive oil this dish contained. I do understand that olive oils are good for heart but anything consumed in excess is bad. By the time I was done eating, making sure all that excess of oil is left on my platter; in the end I actually discovered a 1cm layer of olive oil as left over.


This was one of those nights I really didn’t have room for dessert. I know it’s rare, but it happens on occasion. I took a peak at the menu and found myself eyeing the tart, the ganache, the sundaes, and the éclairs. Even the crepes and waffles were calling my name, mhmmmm. But alas, my stomach would have never forgiven me and so I had to pass. At least now I have more than a few reasons to return, and this time just for the desserts **wink wink**


Cafe Noir:
Address: Food Court, Orion Mall, Brigade Gateway, Dr. Rajkumar Road, Near Yeshwantpur, Malleshwaram
Phone no: 080 22682140, +91 9620347095


No comments:

Post a Comment