Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Juicy yummy food-gasm @ Mango

Rent one place, take one part rustic feel, add a dash of modern flair, incorporate all things bacon and finish it off with a locally sourced menu and an exclamation of modern day furniture’s and BAM! Restaurant. Born. But, despite the equation seeming standard at this point in the world of food and drink, my first trip to Sri Sai Mango Tree, was harrowing. I was determined to give it yet another try and revamp my stance, maybe to just have take-off a bite out of my cynicism. Was I successful? That’s in store in the below review.



So, here we are, off, yet to another joint, to curb a good chicken biryani in this city. Although I tend to favor quirky eateries with menu items that would make a picky eater blush, I’ve made the rounds through my fair share of pricey biryani houses and it was time to try on some less pricey places that would not tussle my conscience to give up internet for a month or sacrifice shopping Mango or at times walk a few km to save up some cash, so that I could afford to spend some cash-money like one. Hey, we all have priorities, right? Well, for all those folks sharing the same plight, this mango place is a savior.


Like I said before, this place is nothing fancy, and any resemblance to the name “Sri Sai Mango Tree”, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Mango, located on the main road of bellandur, next to shell petrol bunk, is an excellent option for office goer’s vis-à-vis the food court meals. The food here is reasonable and delicious. Service is quite poor, waiters are boisterous and the place is unclean. They have tried to create a friendly environment but I personally feel this place is meant for those folks who walk-in, order, eat and leave as soon as they are done with food. Yet I can’t stop rattling about their food, as they all cause, worthy food-gasms, particularly there chicken dishes.


We started off with, Chicken Maharaja, a spicy chicken starter stuffed with keema topped with onions and green chatni, the best of this kind, and coming from a rookie chicken eater like me, it definitely would impart its voodoo charms on you. Presented at the perfect medium-rare temp, my jaw literally hit the table when this came out, which was perfect, since I immediately started shoving bites of it inside my mouth. A perfect blend of juicy chicken and spices, I could see you go all gaga about it. They serve 6 of these, 4 boneless and 2 with bones. 

Next up were panner chilli, the dish of the day for vegan folks 








Mushroom 65.







 I had huge hopes on these dishes, and maybe that’s why I was a lot disappointed when I tasted them. Not that these dishes were bad, but my expectation were high and the taste was not as expected. Nevertheless panner and mushrooms were cooked to dot and fried perfectly; it’s just that my expectation was way above par.










Moving on, the next dish, we tasted, Chicken roast. Again a perfect blend of spice and perfect roasting, not as popular as Chicken Maharaja but this too had its own charm. Most of them were bone pieces so I got very little to eat, but otherwise it was good.





I’m actually embarrassed to admit how giddy we got after our starters. I dint have much hopes on my mains, as we didn’t get what we actually wanted and ended up having a pot of schezwan fried rice and Mushroom fried rice. 


Since I wasn’t quite enthu on eating either of them I filled myself with loads of starters and ended up eating just a spoonful of these rice’s. I wasn’t very happy with schezwan fried rice, but, given the fact that, fried rice are not my thing; I could eat white rice or I could eat biryani and as a matter of fact I can endure pulav too, but fried rice, nay, not my genre. So it was kinda obvious why I dint like either of them, but if I had to vouch for one,  I would go for mushroom over chicken. Chicken, I felt was too bland and tasteless, whereas mushroom rice was tasty but I was full.





Overall I would say this place is pretty good for chicken dishes, few veg dishes aswell. But I always get disappointed on mango because of their service and cleanliness and interiors. If they could just improve on these factors, they can be competing for the top places to dine in Bangalore. Moreover it’s not fair for the chef to be undermined, he deserves to belong somewhere better where his food would be praised high and loved by many bangaloriens.

I wouldn’t recommend this place to “sit and order” types, but you can always parcel out food from here, because they do serve heavenly biryani.

Back to answering my intial question "Was i successfull", not really. Like last time, they did manage to mess up their service this time too, and they couldn't care more. Would i go back there? Probably not, i did give them a benefit of doubt and they again managed to screw it up, which shows they really dont care nor their motto is "customer happy". 




No comments:

Post a Comment