Tuesday, November 4, 2014

UNDER THE TABLE WITH MANJU @ IMLI



Sitting there with my order ready, waiting for the staff to show up on my table, spicy hot chai or salt lassi in hand, watching the staff swam around the whole place boisterously, I always imagine how amazing it would be if suddenly, everyone examining their menu, arguing over whether to get one order of samosas or two, agonizing between the Set Pet Puja or Rotiyan Shotiyan and sabziyan, and hearing to Hindi retro music at the counter, would suddenly burst into a vigorous Bollywood dance number, flash mob-style. Wouldn’t it be great if we could watch a Garba or Lavani or Bangda while we slurp on some pakoda’s and samosa’s. SIGH! Bangalore is yet to have one such joint.

A dabha style, pure veg foodhole has found its ground at one of the major Bangalore food hubs-Indiranagar.  What I like about Imli, is there funny little witty face carved as there logo; the feel and vibes of this logo defines the aura of imli, a sense of something fun in store for us. It also portrays that they have done their studies on the food world in Bangalore and have tried to do something different, that would attract more crowd, and I am totally down with it. Even before looking at their menu I was totally in love this place. The changing emoticons dining mats, the glamorous sunny look, with the yellow painted walls matching the yellow lanterns gives it a rustic look; the retro songs playing along takes you back into the late 20’s where Bollywood made sensible movies rather than Happy New Year types. As I walked into this hub, the atmosphere was peaceful and relaxing, the staffs were welcoming and you could just embrace the moment.

Imli has 2 floors, the top floor being a rooftop terrace set-up. Most of the folks prefer the top floor than the ground floor for the very obvious reasons and like all, I too made it to the top floor. I choose a spot right next to the balcony, to enjoy my TV show shield while I quaffed on my extravagant meal. After perusing through the menus I settled for a plate of Paneer Tawa Pyaaz and a plate of Set pet Puja; and to wash it all down, a glass of Thandai.

One of my pass time hobbies is observing, so while I waited for my meal to arrive, I looked around; I found a couple romanticizing right behind me, one table next to me had this cute little family enjoying a meal together and this little guy staring at me every now and then and sometimes responding back with his naughty smiles. Another table at the far end was hosting an office get together and the table to my left had some uncles laughing and enjoying their meal, may be sharing and reminiscing old memories, while the staffs swarmed the place with food. Amidst all this I lost track of time and before I knew my food was on my table. First came in the Paneer tawa Pyaaz followed by the Thandai and then the meal.

Paneer Tawa Pyaaz- Wrapped in a cloud of gram flour and finely chopped coriander, paneer was delivered hot and spicy along with a malleable mixture of ball peppers and onions sided with the mint chutney. The hot paneer trickling down my throat definitely was a food boner.








Thandai- Served very chilled, this drink was quite refreshing and an instant hit.


















Set Pet Puja- They have a variety of options under this menu, just phulka or a combo of phulka with rice or just paratha or a combo of paratha with rice, or dal chawal. Each of these options is by default accompanied with 2 sabjiya’s, dal, papad, onion, pickle and a dessert. All in all a perfect mean that serves me pretty well. I went for the paratha and rice combo.













2 parathas, a tiny bowl of rice, Panner masala, aloo muttor, dal makhani, and Aate ka halwa. Very simple food, perfect quantity for one person and tasty. Nom Nom Nom!


























I had ordered too much and even after my stomach told me to stop, I kept eating. A complete over-indulgence on my part, and completely worth it. Another thing that caught my attention is the imli that served with sonf at the end. I recommend!



Address: #204, 5th Main, 7th Cross, Indiranagar I Stage ,Indiranagar, Bangalore 
Phone: 080 4094 9464
Cuisine: North Indian
Cards Accepted: Yes
Parking: Little tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment